You can recall data using existing points and entering equations. For instance, to recall the bearing between points 11 and 12, type 11..12 in the bearing field and press [Enter]. To recall the elevation of point BM14, type BM14 in the elevation field and press [Enter].
You can also add, subtract, multiply and divide using recalled data. For instance, to recall half the distance between points 11 and 12, type 11..12/2 or 11..12*.5 in the distance field and press [Enter].
You can use an equation any place you would normally enter a distance, bearing, elevation or coordinate.
How Equations Work
- If you are in a direction field, the equation returns a direction. If you are in a distance field, the equation returns a distance. If you are in an elevation field, the equation returns an elevation.
- The following symbols are valid: (+ = add, - = subtract, * = multiply, both / and \ = divide, F and f and ‘ = feet, I and i and “ = inches).
- Use two periods .. or a comma to separate point labels.
- If you are recalling points in the equation, they must come first. For example, 12..11+50 recalls the distance between points 12 and 11 and adds 50 to it.
- If a point label contains a valid equation symbol, follow it with two periods. For example, 10+00..12+45..+50 recalls the distance between points 10+00 and 12+45 and adds 50 to it. You can also use ( ) as in 10+00..(12+45)+50. To recall the elevation of 12+45 use the equation 12+45.. or (12+45).
- Enter 10 feet, 8 inches and 13/16 of an inch as 10F8I13 or 10f8i13 or 10’8”13. TPC will convert it to feet and display the equivalent decimal feet. 10f8i13 is redisplayed as 10.73 in the distance field of the Traverse View.
- To enter decimal degrees for angles or bearings, include the letter d or D as in 45.5d which TPC will interpret as 45 and 1/2 degrees.
- To add a series of numbers, start with a + or – sign, as in +50+50+50. The only exception is when entering a distance, in which case you can drop the first + or – sign, as in 50+50+50.
- Resolve ambiguous equations with + o r - or .. or , symbols.
- When entering an equation for an elevation 1+10 is ambiguous. Enter 1..+10 to recall the elevation of point 1 and add 10 or enter +1+10 to sum the two numbers.
Entering Traverse Data
Entering Point Labels and Descriptions
Personal, Premium, Professional